Commercial trucks are generally heavy and have a lot of power. This makes them very hard to control, especially at full loads and highway speeds. Their large size also means that there will be times when you can’t see all the subtle movements that big rigs make, which can be disastrous.
In the event of a collision, a truck will cause much more damage than regular cars. Therefore, drivers of smaller, lighter vehicles should pay extra attention when on the road with these trucks. The following tips can help you prevent accidents with big rigs.
1. Avoid Blind Spots
To begin with, you need to be aware of your own blind spots. These include areas behind and to the side of your vehicle where you can’t easily see other vehicles. You should also note that big rigs have more blind spots than other vehicles. Therefore, it’s not safe to assume that the driver of a large commercial truck has the same view of the road as you. So, keep a sharp eye out and stay out of the following areas:
- 20 feet in front of the truck.
- 30 feet behind the truck.
- The lane on the driver’s side all the way back to about half of the entire length of the truck.
As a general rule of thumb, you should always be able to see the driver in the truck’s side mirrors.
2. Use Caution When Overtaking
When overtaking a big rig, you need to take extra precautions. This is because trucks are heavy, and their drivers cannot always maneuver odisha discom quickly to accommodate other vehicles. The following tips will help you overtake a truck safely:
- Wait for a clear section of the road.
- Don’t overtake a truck that’s going downhill because its speed can increase abruptly.
- Always approach the truck you are planning to overtake from the left side so the driver can see your car from his mirrors.
- Make sure there is enough space between the truck and the vehicle in front of it, so you can move safely and quickly back into your lane.
- If a truck overtakes you, remain in your lane and slow down to allow it passage.
3. Give Clear Signals
You must use clear signals when overtaking a truck or changing lanes near a truck. If the truck driver can’t see your signals, they won’t know where you intend to go. You must also use the signals sooner than you would when overtaking a normal car. This will give the truck driver enough time to react smihub.
4. Be Careful Where Pulling Over on the Highway
When you need to pull over on a highway, finding an area with enough room is important. This will ensure enough room for wide vehicles such as trucks to pass. Pulling over around corners is also not advisable.
5. Keep an Eye Out for Signs Involving Trucks
You should also keep an eye out for big rig signs along highways. This will help you understand the conditions ahead so you can take the right actions. These signs can include heavy trucks turning and truck parking areas.
The number of accidents caused by big rigs is increasing, and many of them can be avoided. You just need to know how to drive safely around them. Please note that even after observing all these precautions, you may come across a reckless truck driver. If you are involved in an accident with a reckless truck driver, be sure to seek the services of a reputable Colorado truck accident attorney.